Stress in the Workplace vs Burnout!
The tipping point of stress into distress
A recent study suggested that work-related stress accounts for 37% of all ill-health cases and 45% of all working days lost due to ill health across all industries and professions.
This study shows us that workload pressure (including tight deadlines and too much responsibility) and lack of managerial support as the main work factors mentioned by employees causing work-related stress and burnout!
Harmful stress, which can catch us off our guard, resulting in poor performance and, if not addressed, eventually to burnout.
Positive stress is helpful in keeping us energised and alert!
Recognising the following twelve stages will help keep you on the positive side of the stress tipping point!
We all have a tipping point into the downside of stress, especially in the workplace.
The cost of stress effects us physically, mentally, emotionally and financially. Companies lose substantial amounts of money because of bungled deals, misguided decisions, or cover-up of mistakes that can be linked to work-related stress.
HOW DO YOU DETECT BURNOUT AND WHAT ARE THE 12 STAGES?
BURNOUT SNEAKS UP ON YOU !!!
DETECTING IT ~ AVOIDING IT ~PREVENTING IT
1. Proving yourself – demonstrating your worth obsessively
2. Working harder - working longer and harder along with an inability to switch off!
3. Ignoring your needs - erratic sleeping patterns, eating disrupted, lack of social interaction.
4. Panic and conflict - problems are dismissed - feel threatened- panicky and Jittery
5. Change values - values are skewed- friends and family dismissed, hobbies seen as irrelevant- work is the only focus
6. Deny problems- cynical and intolerant- aggressive interaction - colleagues blamed, lack of time & workload blamed. Being demanding
7. Withdrawal -social life small or non-existent - need to feel relief from stress- resort to drinking and or drugs and sex.
8. Odd behaviour - Obvious changes in behaviour- friends and family concerned
9. Depersonalise - feeling of worthlessness - lack of confidence - life feels mechanical and emotionless
10. Inner emptiness - feeling empty and lonely - turning to overuse of alcohol, sex or drugs
11. Epic depression - feeling lost, not sure what to do – exhausted- the future is bleak & dark. Life loses meaning and agitation to apathy sets in.
12. Collapse & burn out- desperate for a way out - verge of mental and physical collapse - potentially suicidal - need medical help!
Be the manager of your Life ~ is it time to take back control of your life?
You also deserve to be more relaxed, calmer, and to take control of stressful situations and deal with them, before BURN OUT takes control of your life!
Our expertise lies in empowering you to accomplish the change you need in your life. So that you are able to enjoy a work-life balance and spend quality time with your family and friends.The first step in empowering yourself is simple, just contact us.