Green Prescription Sleep Solutions to Help Restore the Quality of Your Sleep!
Do you have trouble falling asleep, or toss and turn in the middle of the night?
Awaken too early, or find yourself not feeling refreshed in the morning?
Simply improving your daytime habits and creating a better sleep environment can set the stage for good sleep!
Get up on a regular basis for at least 3 weeks 20- 30 minutes earlier than normal waking time. Clinical research has demonstrated that this is the most effective strategy for curing insomnia and will reset your sleep cycle.
Follow a consistent, calming bedtime routine:
- To maximise sleep, your room should be quiet,dark, ventilated and a comfortable temperature
- Begin to wind down in extraneous activity about 2 hours before you go to sleep
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol and spicy foods 4-6 hours before bedtimeDrink hot milk or a warm cup of chamomile tea 30 minutes before bed. “Chamomile is widely regarded as a mild
- Drink hot milk or a warm cup of chamomile tea 30 minutes before bed. “Chamomile is widely regarded as a mild tranquilizer and sleep-inducer.
Mental or Emotional STRESS is often overlooked when it comes to sleep Problems and STRESS and ANXIETY is a key factor in SLEEPLESSNESS!
- Eliminate as much light as possible – Ditch the mobile from the bedroom!
- Get into your favorite sleeping position. If you don't fall asleep within 15-30 minutes, get up, go into another room, and read until sleepy
- Power Naps of 15- 20 minutes max. An afternoon nap enhances and improves your memory and learning, regulates your emotions and sparks creativity
- Exercise at least 3 times a week for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- Don’t eat a large meal within two hours of bed. Try to make dinnertime earlier in the evening, and avoid heavy, rich foods as bedtime snacks. Best to have main meal at lunch!
Relaxation Technique –
Breathe in and out slowly & deeply for a couple of minutes. Breathe in and tense your feet, relaxing them as you breathe out. Do the
same with your calf muscles, then your thighs; abdomen and so on until you reach your head and every part of your body has been separately relaxed. Let your weight sink in to the bed.
Visit accomplishchange.ie audio store where you can download a sleep easy recording which will support you during re-establishing good sleep
Aisling Killoran is available for a personalised session of hypnosis that will help you get back into a natural sleep rhythm.
Please note: If you are experiencing persistent sleeping problems and it's affecting your day-to-day life, see your GP or health professional today!