Top tips to help you restore the quality of your sleep
Do you have trouble falling asleep, or toss and turn in the middle of the night?
Awaken too early, or find yourself not feeling refreshed in the morning?
Simply improving your daytime habits and creating a better sleep environment can set the stage for good sleep.
• Get up on a regular basis for at least 3 weeks 20 - 30 minutes earlier than normal waking time. Clinical research has demonstrated that this is the most effective strategy for curing insomnia and will reset your sleep cycle.
• Ideally, to maximise sleep, your room should be quiet, dark and at a comfortable temperature and ventilation
• Begin to wind down in extraneous activity about 2 hours before you go to sleep.
• Avoid caffeine, alcohol and spicy foods 4-6 hours before bedtime
• Go to bed when you feel sleepy.
• DON’T watch the clock!
• Eliminate as much light as possible.
• Get into your favourite sleeping position. If you don't fall asleep within 15-30 minutes, get up, go into another room, and read until sleepy.
• Drink hot milk before you go to bed.
• Avoid napping during the day- if you must then 30 minutes max.
• Exercise at least 3 times a week for a minimum of 20 minutes.
• Don’t eat a large meal within two hours of bed. Try to make dinnertime earlier in the evening, and avoid heavy, rich foods as bedtime snacks.
• Visit our Audio Store where you can download a sleep easy recording which will support you during re-establishing good sleep patterns.