Am I Sleeping Enough?
Did you know - your daily habits along with how you think, act and feel during the day will affect how well you sleep at night!
According to the National Institutes of Health, the average adult sleeps less than seven hours per night. In today’s fast-paced society, six or seven hours of sleep may sound pretty good. In reality, though, it’s a recipe for chronic sleep deprivation.
Lack of QUALITY sleep will eventually catch up with you and affect your daily mood, energy and mental clarity which in turn will lead to unnecessary high-stress levels which can lead to less time for sleep!
How do I know if I’m not getting a good nights sleep?
Lack of sleep will affect your judgment, coordination, daily response and reaction time and are a good marker in how well you are coping!
The effects shared by health guide org include the following:
- Fatigue, lethargy, and lack of motivation
- Moodiness and irritability; increased risk of depression
- Decreased sex drive; relationship problems
- Impaired brain activity; learning, concentration, and memory problems
- Reduced creativity and problem-solving skills; difficulty making decisions
- Inability to cope with stress, difficulty managing emotions
- Premature skin ageing
- Weakened immune system; frequent colds and infections; weight gain
- Impaired motor skills and increased risk of accidents; hallucinations and delirium
By identifying and understanding your specific problems and stress levels throughout the day and night can help you regain control of your sleep and reset healthy sleep patterns which in turn will increase your energy, efficiency and overall health.
Stress does affect your levels of sleep and its well known that 90% of stress can lead to illness, so it's important to seek help in managing stress levels to enhance your quality and depth of sleep.
With the demands of a busy schedule, be it daytime or late evenings, it’s important to create your favourite “toolkit” of relaxing unwinding rituals before sleep, along with understanding and learning how to bounce back from sleep loss.
How do I know if I’m getting enough sleep?
You will know if you are getting enough sleep based on how you feel as you go about your day. You will feel energetic and alert throughout the day and evening until it’s time for bedtime!
Did you know that?
1. Your Body heals while you sleep
2. Deep sleep plays a vital role in restoring alertness
3. The cure for sleep difficulties can often be found in your daily routine.
4. Exercise improves the quality of sleep, the more vigorous the better you sleep! (at least 3 hours before bedtime)
5. Sunlight helps maintain a healthy circadian rhythm.
6. Sleep-ins at the weekend can disturb your natural sleep-wake rhythms
7. If you have to nap, do so early afternoon – set your timer to 15 -20mins max!
8. An organic banana can help you sleep!
9. Staying indoors worsens jetlag!
10. 12% of people dream only in Black & white
11. Sleep positions can determine your personality
12. Only 3% of the world’s population can survive on six hours sleep!
If you are struggling to get to sleep - visit our audio download and get a good nights sleep!